Imagination is the only pre-requisite for this year-long course of fun-packed drama classes for young people aged 9 to 13! In a small class of only 16 you’ll discover the essentials of movement and voice plus key skills for creating colourful, believable characters.
Active two hour sessions during term will have you confidently on your feet exploring drama games and skills sessions in improvisation, commedia dell’arte, singing, dance, storytelling and text work. They say if you can perform Shakespeare, you can perform anything… but we’ll engage with an impressive line-up of other playwrights too.
The best part is it’s not all just practice! A fun and active weekly class focusing on acting techniques, voice and physicality. Each term new scenes and plays will be introduced to keep students engaged and their imaginations sparked as we work with scripts that play to the strengths of the participants and challenge them to step up. At the end of each term, family and friends are invited to a performance showcase. Tutors are professional actors and directors from the Australian Shakespeare Company with a great deal of experience of working with young people.
No previous drama class or Shakespeare experience is needed, just enthusiasm, confidence in public speaking and being comfortable working in small groups. Course tutors are professional actors and directors from the Australian Shakespeare Company ensemble with backgrounds in teaching.
Tuesdays from 4:30pm to 6:00pm
TERM 1: THE ASC REGRETS THAT DUE TO SCHEDULING CONFLICTS TERM 1 IS UNABLE TO PROCEED AS PLANNED.
TERM 2: Tuesday 22 April – Tuesday 24 June 2014 – 10 sessions
TERM 3: Tuesday 15 July – Tuesday 16 September 2014 – 10 sessions
TERM 4: Tuesday 7 October – Tuesday 16 December 2014 – 11 sessions
Where: St Francis Church Hall, rear of St Francis Church, 326 Lonsdale Street , Melbourne – see map
Cost: $400 per term incl GST. The course fee is payable as four instalments of $400 incl GST. The first instalment is required immediately to secure course enrolment. The remaining three are payable two weeks prior to the first session of terms 2, 3 and 4.
Age range: 9 to 13 years old
Maximum intake: 16 participants
Term 1 Fee Payment: pay the Term Fee of $400 and complete the enrolment form on line or email ASC to have an enrolment form sent to you
“You gave Mabel a very wonderful and affirming experience. As a parent I also felt it was wonderful for her to be so immersed in the work.” Jo Windred
“My daughter has been buzzing with excitement. In her words ‘best thing I’ve done.’ Thanks!” – mother of Poppy aged 9
News, photos and more at our Young Bards Facebook page:
Find us on Facebook
INTRODUCTION TO ACTING TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. By completing an Enrolment Form and paying the course fee installments you are indicating your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
2. Acceptance into the course requires a complete Enrolment Form and payment of the first course fee instalment via our website. Without both the participant will not be enrolled. Enrolment will be confirmed by email.
3. Places in the course will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
4. No enrolments will be accepted on the first day of class. All participants must be enrolled in advance.
5. The course fee is payable as four installments of $400 incl GST. The first instalment is required immediately to secure course enrolment. The remaining three are payable two weeks prior to the first session of terms 2, 3 and 4. Once an installment is paid no refund or credit note will be offered should you change your mind.
6. Should four sessions be missed during a term without prior discussion with the course coordinator the participant’s enrolment will be terminated.
7. The Australian Shakespeare Company reserves the right to deny enrolment or ask an enrolled participant to leave a course. This will be the last option in a line of disciplinary action as set out in our Disciplinary Procedure.
8. Should part or all of the course be cancelled by the Australian Shakespeare Company a credit note will be offered in the place of the cancelled course. Where only part of the course is cancelled the credit note amount will be pro-rata.
9. The Australian Shakespeare Company does not accept any responsibility for participants’ personal property during the course.
10. The Australian Shakespeare Company does not accept liability for any personal injury incurred during the normal conduct of the course.
11. The Australian Shakespeare Company reserves the right to make photographic and/or visual recordings during the course for inclusion in our archives and for use in the Australian Shakespeare Company marketing materials.
12. Audio and/or visual recording of any kind by participants is not permitted unless otherwise advised.
14. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.