Commonly asked questions
I can’t find where the show is playing?
On all our show pages is detailed information on how to best find the event site. If you need help, you can call us on 03 8676 7511.
How do I get there?
What time do the venues open?
- Shakespeare Under the StarsThe gates to the performance area open 90 minutes prior to the start of the show.Children’s ShowsThe performance area will be open from 1 hour prior to the start time. If you are planning a picnic, it is best to come early as the children’s performances move locations throughout the show. It is best to enjoy your treats before the show begins! Where possible we will admit latecomers in to the main audience viewing area at a suitable point in the performance. Should it become necessary for you to leave once the performance has started, we ask that you do so with consideration to the performers and audience members.
Can I smoke onsite?
Which cast members will perform at which performance?
Like most plays and musicals, the cast of our productions are ensemble companies. The producers cannot guarantee the appearance of a particular artist at any performance. Appearances could be subject to many factors including illness and holidays.
No refunds or exchanges will be offered as a result of a cast member’s unavailability to perform at any performance.
Do you accept Companion Card?
The Australian Shakespeare Company is pleased to support the Companion Card program. Companion Card holders will be issued with a complimentary ticket at the box office. Please contact us to book on 03 8676 7511 or email email@example.com
What to bring?
Please note that low rise chairs can be used throughout the audience viewing area. If you bring a standard height chair, these will be placed at the rear of the audience viewing space.
Our productions take place outdoors and there is no cover. Please consider bringing a hat, coat, blanket, sunscreen and a water bottle when attending.
Please note that umbrellas cannot be raised during performance times.
Dressing up is optional and encouraged for all our shows!
Lost and Found – If you have lost an item at one of our productions, please call 03 8676 7511 (Melbourne) or 02 9011 7704 (Sydney) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you find an item, please pass it onto one of our team members so hopefully it can be reunited with its owner.
How do I collect food purchased online?
You can collect these items from the onsite bar, 30 mins prior to the start time of the performance.
How does seating work?
All our outdoor shows are presented in the style of “Picnic Theatre”. This means you can bring along everything you would bring to a picnic such as food, drink and a picnic rug to sit on. You can bring picnic chairs but you will need to sit at the back of the audience area so people sitting on blankets can see the show unobstructed.
Chair hire is also available onsite for $5. No pre-booking possible and there are limited numbers.
Can I bring my dog?
Dogs are not allowed at performances of Shakespeare or family shows. However, services animals are always welcome.
Photos & Filming
Shakespeare Under the Stars
You are allowed to take photos of the stage, as well as with your family and friends before the show.
However, so that the performers and audience are not impeded, you are not allowed to take photos during any part of the performance.
You are allowed to take photos of the stage and with your children before the show. However, you are not allowed to take photos of the performance. After most shows, you will be welcome to take photos with the performers.
We understand that you’ll probably have your phone out prior, but ASC will appreciate you putting it on silent mode or turning it off during the performance.
Remember to tag us on social media!
Request Date Change
Date change requests can be made When a performance has been cancelled by the producers due to adverse weather conditions OR 12 hours prior to performance where you have changed your mind or a member of your party is incapacitated.
Please note that we are unable to process date change requests when you contact us less than 12 hours prior to a scheduled performance time. Unfortunately in this situation, the ticket/s for that performance will be forfeited.
Please contact our box office if you would like to request a change to a performance date, email@example.com. When doing so, please quote your booking reference number and your new requested date.
We are here to help you and make the most of your experience, so please let us know your individual requirements when booking. You can contact us on 03 8676 7511 (Melbourne) or 02 9011 7704 (Sydney) or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Where can I buy tickets?
You have various options to purchase tickets:
Online on our website
Ticketek (Atheneaum Theatre events)
BASS (Selected Adelaide Events)
TodayTix (Selected Performances Only)
Onsite Box Office – Onsite sales opens 1 hour before Family Theatre shows and 1.5 hours before Shakespeare/Music events.
Please note, Viagogo is not a legitimate ticket seller for any ASC events.
What is the Gold Class Package? (VIP Tickets)
(MAINSTAGE SHAKESPEARE EVENTS ONLY)
On arrival at the venue, you’ll be shown to the Premium Reserved seating area. Relax in a low rise chair on a picnic rug under the stars. Enjoy a pre-show beverage (wine, soft drink or water) and read your souvenir programme. At the interval, you’ll be able to enjoy a complimentary tea or coffee.
At the Australian Shakespeare Company we have a range of tickets available for our patrons. It is a priority that all our guests, regardless of age or socio-economic status have the option of attending one of our shows. For more information on tickets and ticket prices, click here.
If you are unsure of weather conditions, you can check the Bureau of Meteorology radar here.
Usually, performances proceed if there is light, misty drizzle. However, from time to time, it will be necessary to cancel a performance.
To make contact for an update on cancelling shows due to adverse weather conditions, please contact us via email. If a performance is to be canceled, patrons will be notified via text message and email and will receive credit with ASC.
WEATHER CANCELLATION POLICY:
- When a performance is cancelled in advance of the scheduled start time due to adverse weather conditions, where possible and time permitting, we make every effort to inform ticket holders by SMS or phone.
- If the Australian Shakespeare Company cancels a performance due to adverse weather conditions, your tickets will be valid for another performance during the same production season. The ASC does not offer refunds in the event of adverse weather conditions.
- To rebook, fill in the Request Date Change form on our website. Alternatively, you can call 03 8676 7511 (Melbourne) or 02 9011 7704 (Sydney) during business hours Monday to Friday.
- If it is not possible for you to attend another performance during the same production season we can provide a lifetime credit note for the value of your tickets (not including any handling fees).
- A credit note will only be offered if the performance is officially cancelled.
Please note, if one off performances (such as touring shows or music events), we often have other arrangements in place for cancellations such as the performance taking place on a alternate date. Please check the event page for further info.